Brexit News

The interims deal is done and will be effective from 11:00 pm GMT on the 31st of December 2020.

What does that mean for you?

Logistics and Trading Standards

  • There will be no extra charges on goods (tariffs) or limits on the amount that can be traded (quotas) between the UK and the EU from 1st of January 2021.  No need for a deferment account to pay duty (there is not any, at least not for goods of GB or EU origin!).
  • Excise duty is still payable though and you should consider your position if you are involved in the importation of wines, spirits, tobacco etc. (please reach out to our experts if any questions)
  • Import and Export clearance process will be necessary for all shipments between UK and EU. Safety & Security (ENS) declarations are required for all EU imports but not required for GB imports until July 2021. Please expect delays and disruptions during the first weeks of implementation
  •  For Sanitary and Phytosanitary goods, export health (or phytosanitary) certificates are required from the very first day. These are not needed for GB imports until April 2021 and not needed initially for trusted traders in GB-NI flow deal.
  • There are substantial points covering mutual recognition of standards for most areas, rules that allow one regulator’s stamp to be accepted in other’s jurisdiction. A few areas are still out of this cover, such as chemicals under REACH, where UK will lose its access in 2021 although it invested in the database construction.
  • TRACES NT is required for all movements of SPS goods to EU (including NI) even if/when an export health certificate is not required initially. That also means that IPAFFS for GB imports is not required until April 2021.
  • There will be extra checks at borders, such as safety checks and customs declarations, so businesses that rely on transporting goods to and from the EU will need to be ready.
  • Port systems, such as PBN, GVMS, SI Brexit, all go live from day one.
  • Transit documents will need to be closed on the UK border arrival from day one. This means a physical stop is required. The CGATE group can help you issuing and close your transit documents from and to all over Europe. Please do reach out to our customs experts.
  • Truck routings; ECMT permits will not be required and the process flow can be very similar to as it is today, although UK hauliers will have stricter cabotage rules when operating in the EU.

Other useful information:


  • If you travel on business or holiday, nothing will change for you.
  • EU nationals that want to work or live in the UK, after January 1st 2021, need to apply for a Visa according to the UK rating system.
  • UK nationals will need a visa if they want to stay longer than 90 days in the EU.
  • No roaming agreement is yet in place. You should contact your provider prior departure to request if any changes are in place.

Law and Security

  • The UK will not have to follow any judgements made by the EU court of justice.
  • The UK will not be a member of Europol anymore but will have a separate agreement in place like they have with the US.

Students and University

  • The UK will leave the Erasmus programme. Only students participating at Universities in Northern Ireland continue. You should contact your programme manager for more info.

UK / EU nationals’- living abroad

  • There will be no changes in rights and the health system can be used until further notice. However, you will need to apply for visa or permanent residency until June 2021.

For detailed and compromised info from the EU Government, please follow the following link:


We are here to help. Please contact your local CGATE office

Sources: BBC news, Süddeutsche Zeitung, NTV, Robert Hardy Customs Clearance Consortium,, Institute for